Sunday, May 22, 2011

Luxembourg

It took a lot longer to get to Luxembourg than I expected (around 3 hours on the train) mostly because there wasn't a direct Brussels-Luxembourg City train so it stopped at a bunch of places along the way. Still, it was one of those places that you likely won't go to unless of course you're in the area like I was in Brussels. Having said that, I think it's a big mistake to not visit Luxembourg. Luxembourg was one of my favorite places in Europe. A lot of European cities feel kind of claustrophobic and dense but Luxembourg City had a light, airy feel to it. I think a lot of it had to do with the valley that the city is built around makes it feel a lot more open. 


Like most European cities, Luxembourg City had an ornate train station (above) and a church in the center of the city with intricate moldings and exquisite stain glass windows. Having gone to Cologne the week before, I was not overly impressed with the stain glass but it was still worth a look considering how old the church was.



Luxembourg City itself was easily one of the most charming European cities I visited. It was quaint, beautiful, and full of ambiance...just what a European city needs! With its narrow, crooked roads and Gothic cathedrals and picturesque river running through the center it was definitely worth the three hours.




The building above me in this picture was something Matt and I came across in our wanderings around the city. I posted it on facebook.com because I thought it was a pretty cool picture and one of my friends asked what written on the building above me. I had no idea, but she went and found out that it says, "I want to stay the way I am". Interesting. There are times in life when I think we all wish we could just stop time and keep things just the way they are...


Luxembourg would not be complete without an awesome street band!



The pictures above and below are Chemin de la Corniche and is called the most beautiful balcony in all of Europe. I don't disagree. The view was amazing with the houses down below and the little river/canal running through the center. I can only imagine what it looks like in the Spring and Summer with all the trees in full leaf and flowers blooming. 



Matt and I kept trying to get a picture of our reflection in these crazy colored vases...I'll let you decided how well they worked out!




Ahhh...Luxembourg! There are some places where once you've seen them, that's it and you don't want to go back. Luxembourg was not one of those places and I would definitely want to go back and spend a few more days there.


Except...hopefully they have a direct train by then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment