Friday, May 6, 2011

What I would have said...


My university held commencement this morning and later on today my college will hold its commencement exercises. Several months ago I was asked to submit a speech for my university's commencement. Being asked to submit something was flattering, but I was not ultimately selected to speak. The speakers who did speak were fantastic and I am still digesting what they said and future blog posts may come as a result of their remarks. Still, I think what I wrote for the speech I would have given sums up my feelings today so I thought I'd share it with everyone who reads my musings.

As I stand here today, I can’t help but remember the day when everything started for me at the University of Utah. I was a little bit apprehensive as I got off Trax and hurried off to my first college class. It was a 7:30 AM National Government course with Dr. Dan Jones and I had heard he was a pretty tough professor. Neither of my parents graduated from college and I remember my mom saying she was scared of how big the University of Utah was when she thought about attending. My parents are from small towns in Cache Valley, so Salt Lake was a big city to them and the U’s student population was 15 times the size of the towns where they grew up. My mom won’t let me tell you how many years ago that was, but mom, the U’s even bigger now then it was then.

My mom’s fear of the U was in the back of my mind as I made my way to OSH. I arrived at 7:25 AM and was relieved that I had not only found the classroom, but that I had five minutes to spare. I walked in to find an auditorium filled with students and Dr. Jones already lecturing at the front of the class. The only empty seat in sight was, conveniently, right in the middle of a row. As I crawled over other students and their backpacks to get to the empty seat, I kept thinking this is not quite the start I had envisioned. Once I got to my seat, I looked around and realized that the syllabi had already been distributed. Dr. Jones was lecturing so, rather than interrupt, I just hunkered down and started to take notes. After class I sheepishly made my way up to the front to pick up a syllabus from Dr. Jones who proceeded to ask my why I was late and telling me how important it was to be on time. I didn’t mention the fact that I was on time, in fact five minutes early, because, well, I was scared of Dr. Jones.

Little did I know that this class and professor would have such a profound influence on the trajectory of my academic career and ultimately help me find my home at the University of Utah. It was in that Dr. Jones class, where I first heard about some of the opportunities at the U and more particularly the Hinckley Institute of Politics. I still remember Bryson Morgan from the Hinckley doing a classroom announcement at the beginning of class (I was on time—at least 10 minutes early I mean—the rest of the semester for the record so I didn’t miss things likes this). I wanted to be just like Bryson. So I made my way up to the Hinckley and started talking with the Hinckley Folks about internship opportunities, the Hinckley Journal, and scholarships.

It was all so interesting and exciting, but for me, it was even more meaningful because I felt I had found my home on campus. And I am sure those in the Hinckley can attest to that fact, because I was always pestering them with my presence whether they wanted me there or not. My relationship with Dr. Jones grew as well and I think he may have forgotten I was late that first day or at least forgiven me, because he let me be his TA for another one of his classes later on. It could also have been his form of revenge as I had to deal students late to class as well. It was another 7:30 AM class.

My relationship with Dr. Jones, the Hinckley, and many other professors and mentors from the U led to unforgettable experiences like interning in Washington, D.C. with Senator Bennett followed by 3 years on his Salt Lake City staff. I was so excited when I heard the news that he will be joining the University staff. The support, encouragement, and cheer leading from the Hinckley and dedicated professors led me to become a Truman Scholar. Their resources and letters of recommendations allowed me to spend the last several months in Brussels working for NATO while world events and history were made around me. As I look back on all these experiences, I realize that I would not have had them at any other institution besides the University of Utah and for that I will always be grateful.

I think that every student, every person for that matter, is looking to find a place where they belong. “The Road Home,” a song I first heard performed by the University Singers, sums it up nicely saying, “There is no such beauty as where you belong.” College is a time of finding one’s self, one’s passions, and one’s opinions. It’s a time of finding where you belong. Fortunately the University of Utah has amazing programs in wide-ranging fields and covering many interests that I don’t think that my story of finding a home and success on campus is by any means unique. So to the University of Utah—the professors, advisers, and my fellow students here today—thanks for helping me feel like I belong. Go Utes!

1 comment:

  1. Much better speech then the one we heard at the ceremony!

    ReplyDelete