Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Big Cheeks and Binche

On Sunday, I went to a little city called Binche for their Carnivale celebration. Well, it actually wasn't the real deal because that happens this Sunday, but because I am going to Rome I went a week early. I heard they have "rehearsals" for the "real-thing" on the Sundays leading up to it.

So after church, a few friends and I hopped on a train and headed to the city. It was a really quaint, European city and the celebration was a lot of fun. There were families, old and young,
and all sorts throughout the streets. I doubt anything like this would ever happen in the good ole U S of A just because I don't see grown men wearing pink nun's costumes (okay, maybe we do this, it's just called Halloween). Regardless it was fun and I especially enjoyed this:

1. There was a guy blowing a trumpet with one hand and holding a cigarette in the other. (Somehow I did not get a picture of this- I know, epic fail!)

2. Little kids were all part of the act as well.


3. Older guy with the biggest cheeks in the world



4. Drunk Men in panda costumes...need I say more?

5. Unesco World Heritage Celebration- yep, this celebration is legit! (so you can't tell, but we are standing in front of a sign that says that it's a Unesco World Heritage...)

1 comment:

  1. You are having the best time! I'm sorry I didn't get to see the man playing his trumpet and smoking at the same time!

    ReplyDelete