Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two Roads...


The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost

Do you ever wish you had a crystal ball that would tell you the outcomes of the two (or three or four...) roads that lie ahead in your path? I mean, something that would show you what your life would be like if you went left and what your life would be like if you went right and then, upon seeing this, you could make your decision about which one you wanted to take?

There are some interesting...well...developments in my life right now and I'm trying to get a grip on them. I'm trying to make decisions and I suck at making decisions. (sorry for the s word for all your tender eyes out there.) I think that the decade between age 21 and 31 should be called the decade of decisions. That's not to say that you don't make important decisions after you turn 32 but, it seems to me, that most of the fundamental decisions in life--the ones that formulate the general trajectory of the rest of your life-- are made in that time.

I'm not trying to wax philosophical or anything. I'm really just trying to make decisions and for some reason I have the feeling that those decisions may change me--not necessarily change for the bad or good, but just change. I am at the fork of those two roads and deciding which one to travel...wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Codester! I have a feeling you'll make the right decision...and I'm sure you have some big decisions to make. The opportunities you're getting are astounding! But you're getting these shots because you deserve them and you've put in the work. Maybe step into the darkness a bit, and I'm sure your path will be illuminated the second you have to take that step. I'm excited for you! Good luck and keep us posted!-Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will work out Cody. I know how you feel, so don't let it stress you out too much! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Cody! Elder Bednar gave a fireside here a few weeks ago, and talked a lot about making decisions. One of the things he said is that sometimes God just wants us to make a decision and roll with it (take a step forward... as "Anon" stated above) and if it's the wrong decision he'll call us back. And as long as we're living righteously, He won't let us do the wrong thing. But mostly, God just wants us to make decisions on our own and move forward. If he had to tell us how or why to do everything it would be the ultimate sign that he doesn't trust us. And he does. That being said, whatever road you choose, you'll be fine. And it'll all work out. Can't wait to hear soon what's next for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd def agree...i am the worst decision-maker. I hate the anxiety, but at the same time enjoy the excitement of having options and not knowing what the future will hold. As stressful as those times are, everything always works out in the end. I think i'd have to disagree though, deciding where to go to uni was a big decision so i'd say it's more like 17-30 are the big-decision years. If you're going on a mission, it takes minimal decision-making but I was already married by 21!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the kind words...I'll try to keep you posted on what I decide; until then!

    ReplyDelete