Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Filet Américain

So there are a few things that are quintessentially Belgian...chocolate, waffles, mussles and French fries (actually they were started in Belgium so they should be called Belgian fries)...and Filet Américain.

Up until tonight, I had tried all of these wonderful, culinary masterpieces. The waffles- so good they make your teeth hurt, the chocolate- mouth-wateringly rich, mussles and french fries- actually quite good for someone, like me, who doesn't typically like seafood, the Filet Américain...well I was holding off on that.

Why, you might ask, would I not try this when everything else I have eaten is so good? Well, because it's essentially raw beef. I think they call it Filet Américain to fool American travelers into thinking they are getting some steak or something and instead they get this raw beef Pâté-like dish when they order it. If you want to read more about, look here.

My host family said that they always feed it to the people staying with them and none of the students have liked it. I was game. I mean, I ate some pretty crazy stuff in Ukraine so it couldn't be that bad. I made a video of my first taste:



In all actuality, once you got past the "icky-factor" of eating raw meat, it really wasn't that bad and I daresay good. Especially on the Belgian fries!

1 comment:

  1. Way to be daring. It looks kinda nasty. I hope it tastes better than it looks. For your sake.

    ReplyDelete